Thursday 15 August 2013

Ringwood Boondoggle at the Running Horses, Micklesham

Went out this morning for a hike, which meant - of course - finishing up with a cheeky pint in a country pub (what other purpose is there for hiking??). I'd been informed (by the hike guidebook) that the pub - the Running Horses at Micklesham near Dorking - had a "good selection of real ales", although I took that with pinch of salt when it said "including Abbots and Directors".

The "selection" was Brakspear, Ringwood, London Pride and Boondoggle. As I'd tried all the others, I went for the Boondoggle (4.0%), which was also made by Ringwood.


It's another summer ale, which is pretty welcome after a morning slogging round the Surrey Hills; it's light and refreshing, with citrus notes. To be honest though - it's a bit dull. Maybe that's because I've been drinking Thornbridge for the past couple of days and am looking for something with a bit more pizazz in my beer, but this was rather insipid.

That said, shortly after the above photo was taken my food arrived - a plate of crayfish tail and Marie Rose sauce sandwiches, with just a hint of chilli - and strangely the beer improved markedly, combining really well with the slight bite of the food.


As for the pub, it's the current "Surrey Dining Pub of the Year", and the emphasis does seem to be on the food (my butties were very nice, and served with a little potato salad too) - certainly the beer selection is a bit dull. It's well located in a pretty village near Box Hill and was remarkably busy for a Thursday lunchtime, which is always a good sign. The people at the table next to me ordered fish and chips - it looked amazing, so that's my hint should you find yourself here. It's an olde worlde sort of place - a 16th century coaching in with rooms - and the bar bit is pretty dinky, with most of the place given over to the restaurant.

Not a bad stop for a butty and some ale of a lunchtime, mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment