Friday 23 August 2013

Sierra Nevada - Torpedo

After having recently decided that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was the best beer in the world, I was more excited than is probably acceptable to find Torpedo (7.2%) for sale in Tesco.


Torpedo is so named because they make use of a hop torpedo during the brewing process. This is a device that runs the fermented beer through a filter stuffed full of aromatic American hops. Torpedo is billed as an "Extra IPA" and I had braced myself for an unrelenting onslaught of aroma hops.

I thought it poured a little flat and it wasn't quite as hoppy as I was hoping for. To be fair, it was probably a little over-chilled. My bad. Like Pale Ale though, it's wonderfully balanced, with the biscuity malt and hops making themselves known in equal measure. Make no mistake, this is a beautifully crafted strong ale but it really does taste very strong and is by no means an "easy drinker".

It's a very, very well made drink but not a killer product in the way that Pale Ale is. Talking of which, Tesco was selling those as well and I've got one in the fridge. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment