Saturday 17 August 2013

Tetley's Original

The world of beer is a wide and diverse place and I am determined that our beer adventure should reflect this. Sure, it would be oh so easy to indulge ourselves drinking nothing but fancy IPAs and hoppy pale ales but this could be viewed as elitist and as men of the people, this would not do.

Luckily, I remembered that I had some cans of Tetley's Original in the back of the garage that my dad had bought for me because they were on special offer for packs of 12. I dug one out and opened it up. It developed a decent head when being poured but in the time it took to switch my camera on, this had all but gone.


Tetley's Original is like no beer I have ever tasted. A quick sniff revealed an overwhelming malty aroma, like driving past a biscuit factory with the car window down.

Upon drinking, the sweet malty fragrance effortlessly gave way to a biscuity taste on the tongue, reminiscent of rich tea.  The experience is difficult to describe in words, but I imagined it to be like the result of putting Horlicks in a SodaStream.

The intense maltiness was briefly countered by an earthy, bitter sensation at the back of the throat but then this inevitably gave way to a long doughy finish, like how I imagine it would be if you were an elderly gentleman with no teeth sucking on a slice of Soreen.

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't like Tetley's Original. Apparently though, it's the UK's number two ale brand so some people must do. If you're one of them, there are 11 cans in the back of my garage that you can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment